Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Amusing Myself By Critiquing Austrians

Occassionally, for amusement I point out errors in posts on forums in which some of the more dogmatic adherents of Austrian economics hang out. Since I wrote the first draft of the Wikipedia entry on Austrian economics, it should be clear that I find something worthwhile in the writings of some Austrian economists. (I also started the Wikipedia entry on Joseph Schumpeter.) But so many of the adherents of Austrianism you can meet on the Internet only produce “irritable mental gestures which seek to resemble ideas”, as Lionel Trilling said about conservatism.

Anyways, you can see some contributions of mine in the comments in the following, if anybody cares:


One of my favorite polemical thrusts by Piero Sraffa is this: "Dr. Hayek, who extols the imaginary achievements of the 'subjective method' in economics, often succeeds in making patent nonsense of it."

No comments: